Mrs. Binkley's Weekly Memo To Parents - 10/07/18
Hello Harding ParentsAttendance:
- I wanted to take a moment to remind you how important attendance is to your students success in school. Students who miss over 10 days a year are considered to have chronic absenteeism. These students have a hard time keeping up with their peers and tend to struggle academically. About 10% of Harding students are chronically absent each year. Sadly, a lot of this is not their fault. Please make appointments for your children after school and only allow them to stay home if they are truly ill. Please do your best to get your child to school on time every day. When children are tardy, not only do they miss morning learning but they interrupt the class and are embarrassed to enter late. Attendance matters.
- The district will be taking over our Attendance Meetings for families with poor attendance. Please be aware that 6 unexcused absences will trigger a meeting. Remember, you have 4 days to excuse an absence. You can either call the office or send/bring in a note.
Community Based Literacy at UCSB - Begins 10/17
- Please send only healthy snacks to school for your children. Taki’s are not allowed at school, neither are sodas or candy.
Coffee, Tea and the PYP
- All 4th graders will have the opportunity to spend Wednesday after school at the McEnroe Reading Clinic at UCSB. They will work with graduate students in creating and reading books, exploring literature and learning strategies to read closely and analytically.
- The bus will leave after school on Wednesday at 1:40 and will return at 3:30.
- As a UCSB Partnership School, ALL HUPS students can call the McEnroe clinic to attend one of their twice daily sessions FOR FREE. Their phone number is (805) 893-7905 and their hours of operation are Monday - Thursday, 3:30-4:15PM and 4:30-5:15PM.
Walk to School Day 10/10
- Join us Monday in the auditorium at 8:45 to learn about how we use multiple forms of assessment to inform our instruction and intervention at HUPS.
- Then, two of the therapists/psychologists will talk about healthy social emotional and behavioral development in children.
- They are interested to see what type of meetings or trainings you might be interested in in the future and how often you would like to meet (possible topics might include anxiety, depression, how to build routines at home, how to make being a working parent easier, what to do when my child won’t listen, and more). This is a place for you to connect with other parents, provide or get support from each other, ask questions about mental health, and gain knowledge, strategies and resources. Our therapists and counselors are here to support you in any way they can so please come join us!
Parent School Partnership (MALDEF) 10/9 NOW IN THE MORNING IN ROOM 1 -
- For the 22nd year in a row, students across the nation, and internationally, will celebrate getting to school on their own two wheels or feet. All South Coast schools are participating, so get ready to take part in this student-powered movement. Our friends from COAST will be at Harding, cheering on participants and handing out prizes for those who walked or cycled.
Monday, October 8
- How to navigate the educational system in Spanish.
Tuesday, October 9
- 8:00 Monday Information Tables
- 8:45 - Coffee, Tea and the PYP
- 9:30 Box Top Sorting - Room 1 (Get those box tops in!)
- 1:30 Community Ribbon Cutting 1-6 Whole School Assembly
Wednesday, October 10
- 8:45 Parent School Partnership Training in Room 1
- 3:00 Foundation Meeting in the Conference Room
Thursday, October 11Friday, October 12
- WALK TO SCHOOL EVENT!
- Come to the Gillespie field to cheer the kids on!
- TK/Kinder to Pumpkin Patch!
- 1:30 Wild Wednesday
- 9:45 Ms. Spicer’s 4th Grade Class to the Moxi