Mrs. Binkley's Weekly Memo To Parents - 10/21/18
Hello Harding Parents
- Community Based Literacy at UCSB
- Next Wednesday is our lauch of the 2018-2019 4th grade literacy project with UCSB. A bus will take all 4th graders to UCSB after school at 1:30 to UCSB and the student will be greet by Professors and graduate students to further enrich and emmerse them in the power of literacy. There are multiple rooms in the McEnroe Reading clinic where students can read, create and perform practicing their skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking in creative and engaging ways. They will be escorted back by bus and will arrive at HUPS at around 3:30 - 3:45 pending traffic. Parents are welcome to join if there is room on the bus. You are all always welcome to join via your own transportation. Parking at UCSB does involve a small fee of $3.00.
- ALL Harding student are able to access the McEnroe Reading Clinic free of charge during their regular class times which are Monday through Thursdays from 3:30 - 4:15 and 4:30 - 5:15. You can call (805) 893-7905 to schedule your visit. Don’t forget to mention that you are a HUPS parent!
- CAST and SST
- CAST - “Collaborative Academic Success Team”November 5th and 6th - subs requested
- On these two dates we will be working as a complete team of ALL support staff in literacy, social and emotional learning and special education to evaluate each one of HUPS students grades TK - 6.
- At this point we will have data from all students initial screen in literacy and social and emotional learning plus two sets of STAR data and the ELPAC data from spring and this fall.
- Teachers will come with student work and we will make sure that every students is getting the extra support that they need to be able to succeed at school
- Parent Information Night for Dyslexia Program
- Monday, October 22 Harding Partnership Elementary Program starts at 6:30-7:30 OR Monday, November 5 McKinley Elementary Program starts at 6:30-7:30
- Dinner and childcare provided
- Upcoming Assessments
- FOUNDATION WEEKLY UPDATE is attached to this PS
- Chaucer’s Book Faire Fundraiser ~ October 24th 7:00 - 9:00pm
- 25% of all sales get donated to the Harding Library. Please attend in person if you can! Flyers and gift certificate order forms went out in Thursday Folder. Please contact Monica Solis (library technician) if you have any questions about the Chaucers event
- Oct 24th 4:30 - 6:30 Healthy Food Pantry and Lights On After School - Emergency Preparedness
- HUGE COMMUNITY EVENT - join us to get A LOT of information about providing a safe and healthy life for your family
- Free healthy food, Parish Nurse from the St Francis Foundation at Cottage, Superior Fitness Gym, Neighborhood Clinics, SB Bike Coalition, COAST, Trinity Episcopal Church Smoothies and Recipes, Promotorios ~ Health Education
- American Red Cross, Listos, Casa de la Rase, UCSB, Direct Relief, Immigrant Hope, Unite to Light
- Halloween at HUPS
- Children/Staff are encouraged to dress for Halloween, Literacy Characters, NO masks, blood, scary or inappropriate costumes. 5th Grade Orchestra performance followed by Parade TK - 3rd 1:00pm / 4th - 6th pm Gillespie side playground.
- Parent Conference November 7th Wednesday(Noon Dismissal) & 13th-16th, Tuesday - Friday
- Make sure that you sign up! Translators are difficult to schedule, so if you need one, make sure that you sign up for your conference as soon as possible.
Monday, October 22
- STAR WINDOW OPEN
- 8:00 Parent Informational Tables / Meet Dana Vanderley - our Westside Liaison
- Last Day to rack up AR words read
Tuesday, October 23
- 8:30 MALDEF Parent Meeting
- 10:00 Women’s Fund Group Tour
- 3:00 School Site Council
- 4:00 - 6:30 Healthy Food Pantry
- 4:30 - 6:30 “Light’s On After School Celebration!” Emergency Preparedness - see above and join us!
Wednesday, October 24
- 8:45 TK/K Field Trip SB Botanical Gardens
- 10:15 - 10:20 4th - 6th Behavior Assembly around Socratic Circle (Cafeteria Etiquette)
- 1:45 UCSB CBL - Spicer Chaperoning
- 7:00 Fundraiser at Chaucer’s
Thursday, October 25
- 8:35 2nd Field Trip: Sunshine Organic Farm, Buellton
Friday, October 26
- 8:45 TK/K Awards - Jog-a-thon Announcement
- 1:30 1 - 3 Awards - Jog-a-thon Announcement
- 2:00 4 - 6 Awards - Jog-a-thon Announcement