Welcome to the Harding Music Room!
About the Harding Music Program
ALL students at Harding receive music lessons with their music teacher every week! We have two concerts every year, one in the Winter and another set in the Spring. We would love to see you there!
- Sing, dance, play, and create in the child centered elemental music style called Orff-Schulwerk.
- Learn fundamentals of music including beat, rhythm, melody, form, and expression.
- Develop strong literacy skills through connecting language, poetry, rhythm and rhyme.
- Explore creative dance and traditional folk dances of world cultures.
- Sing a varied repertoire of world music while accompanying self on xylophones and other classroom instruments.
- Build an inclusive music making community together.
- Build college and career readiness through cross-curricular STEAM projects.
- Learn to play a band or orchestra instrument in an ensemble!
- Learn the fundamentals of playing their instrument and how to read music.
- Explore the fundamentals of music including rhythm, melody, dynamics, articulation, and phrasing.
- Play multi-part ensemble literature.
- Compose music for their instrument.
- Design and perform home concerts for family and friends.
Talent Show - Friday, March 23, 8:30am
Spring Sing, Grades 2 & 3 - Thursday, May 10, 8:30am
Spring Sing, Grades K & 1 - Tuesday, May 21, 8:30am
Spring Concert, Grades 4-6, - Thursday, May 23, 5:30pm
Benefits of Music Education
- Strengthened memory and mental acuity. Music requires and strengthens math, language, reading, writing, and comprehension skills.
- Music teaches teamwork and social skills. We need one another to make music.
- Music develops emotional well-being.
- Music demands individual responsibility, hard work, and dedication.
- Music prepares students for the future. All of the above are life skills that prepare students to work together and independently for any career.
We Need Your Help!
Do you play an instrument? Teach traditional folk dance? Have an artistic skill to share? We would love to have you! Please contact Ms. Nelson at the information below.
Donations are the heart of the Harding music program budget. Please consider donating to the Harding School Foundation with a specific gift to the music program. You may also give to Ms. Nelson's current Donor's Choose project by clicking the link at the right. Thank you!
Would you like to volunteer with the music program? We would love to have you! We need help day to day in class, making costumes for performances, and decorating the stage. Please speak with Ms. Nelson in room 9A and we will find the perfect job for you!
Please feel free to contact Ms. Nelson at email@example.com
or by calling the school at (805) 965-8994 x1429.
About Ms. Nelson, Harding Music Teacher
Ms. Nelson is an Orff-Schulwerk trained music educator and she has completed Levels I and II from Los Angeles in that program. Before coming to Harding, Ms. Nelson taught at several schools in Long Beach as well as teaching privately. Ms. Nelson has established a strong culture of performance at Harding as well as introducing dance as a component of a well rounded music curriculum. Ms. Nelson is a clinician and delivers sessions for classroom teachers on ways to incorporate music and movement into the general classroom curriculum. She is a member of the American Orff Schulwerk Association and the National Association for Music Education. Ms. Nelson received her Bachelor of Music degree in Music Education and her Single Subject teaching credential from California State University, Long Beach. She earned numerous awards there including graduating with honors.